What Is Painless Vaccination?
Painless vaccination are one of the recent inventions in the field of immunology. Until now, painless vaccines have only been developed for whooping cough (pertussis) and have been marketed successfully in India as a combination vaccine by the name DaPT (Diphtheria, Acellular pertussis, Tetanus)
They are acellular vaccines that contain fewer number of antigens (constituents of a vaccine that stimulate an immune response in the body) than present in a whole-shot vaccine.
The route of administration of a painless vaccine is needle-based and it is given using an injection itself.
Why Are They Called Painless Vaccines?
Due to the absence of these few antigens, painless vaccines produce little or no side effects like fever or local pain and swelling at the injection site. As a result, they lower the pain that your infant might experience otherwise.
Are Painless Vaccines Less Effective?
There is a popular belief that the effect of painless vaccines subsides too soon and they might not be as effective as the conventional ones.
However, The only vaccine that is subjected to this confusion is DPT versus DaPT. There’s still a major debate if painless dtp vaccines are effective for kids or not.
Painless Vaccination For Infants Side Effects
Advantages Of Painless Vaccination
- Painless vaccines are popular because they come with very little side effects.
- The main advantage of painless vaccination is that when compared to painful vaccines they don’t cause high fever, irritability and discomfort to the child.
- There is no or very less swelling and redness. The child is in less pain.
- Painless vaccines keep the child in a more comfortable state.
Is Painless Vaccination Safe For Infants?
Painless vaccines promise less side effects compared to the painful ones. Instead of the mandatory high grade fever, swelling , redness and vomiting experienced after the painful vaccine, your baby might only experience a mild fever after the painless one.
Side effects like Fever, swelling and redness are controllable in both situations making painless vaccine a considerable choice.
Side Effects Of Painless Vaccination For Infants
- A painless vaccine preparation lacks a few immunity-stimulating components because of which it is less immunogenic in nature.
- The dosage of painless vaccines that has to be given to your little one is less than the amount of painful vaccines injected. This means that in order to produce the same effect, your child will require to be injected with more shots of a painless vaccine as compared to the painful one.
- They have a faster period of waning, which means that their effect doesn’t stay for very long in the body whereas in the case of painful vaccines, antibody production is more and hence, protection is better and superior.
- Painless vaccines are not painless in literal sense. When given they will be equally painful.
- Painless vaccines are costlier than painful ones; almost double their price. Though not a side-effect this fact may put you into reconsidering the use of painless vaccines for your little one.
Painless Vs Painful Vaccination For Infants (Which One Is Better And How To Choose)
Painful vaccines are more pocket friendly as compared to the painless ones. Painless vaccines might cause less pain but they don’t guarantee no pain at all.
DPT the (painful) combination vaccine is available in the market as Easy-five or Pentavac.
DTP Stands For:
While DTaP the (painless) combination vaccine is called as Pentaxim.
Here is a vaccination chart with prices for your baby.
DTaP Stands For :
- Acellular Pertussis
Both Pentaxim And Pentavac Give Protection Against The 5 Diseases.
Pentavac , Easy-five covers:
2. Pertussis (cellular component), ,
4. Haemophilus Influenzae type B
5. Hepatitis B.
2. Pertussis (Acellular Component)
4. Haemophilus influenzae type B
5. IPV (injectable polio Vaccine )
Indian Academy of Pediatrics recommends DTP vaccine strongly for the primary series of vaccinations. According to their website DTaP vaccine/combinations should preferably be avoided for the primary series. DTaP vaccine/combinations should be preferred in certain specific circumstances/conditions only.
Choose wisely and do share your baby’s experience and reaction with us in the comments section below.