How to make Cerelac at home?
Homemade cerelac for babies traditionally known as sathu maavu is one of the most nutritious and healthy weight gaining foods for your child. While the recipe given below gives you suitable quantities of all the ingredients, you can customize this cerelac recipe by changing these amounts depending on your baby’s need and her body’s requirement.
Ingredients for Homemade Cerelac:
1. One and half a cup white/brown rice.
2. One cup urad dal (split black gram)
3. One cup hara chana (green gram)
4. One cup moong dal (split green gram)
5. One cup bhuna chana (roasted gram)
6. One cup masoor dal (split red lentils)
7. One cup dalia(broken wheat)
8. Half a cup sabudana (sago)
9. Half a cup chana dal (horse gram)
10. Half a cup corn
11. Half a cup almonds
12. Half a cup cashew
13. 8-10 pods elaichi (cardamom)
Homemade Cerelac Recipe for 8 months baby:
Watch this Do It Yourself video. It contains the whole process of the recipe. Then read the steps below to learn and understand the recipe better. Make sure you watch it in full screen for the best experience.
Step by Step Recipe for Home made Cerelac
1. Soak all the ingredients except for almonds, cashews, and cardamom in water overnight. Rinse and dry them properly the next day.
2. After this, dry roast all the ingredients as follows
~Rice: Roast the rice grains till they become puffed and grow in size.
~Pulses and Dalia: Roast them till they turn golden brown and a little crispy. For hara chana, roast till its color changes from green to mild brown.
~Sabudana: Roast till it becomes crispy and a little dry.
~Bhuna chana: It will require a little roasting so that it becomes dry and relatively more crispy.
~Corn: Dry roast till it becomes crispy or starts crackling.
~Almond and Cardamom: Roast till their aroma starts rising.
~Cashew: Roast till it turns golden-brown.
3. Allow all the constituents to cool down for some time.
4. Now, powder all the roasted ingredients in a mixer or blender.
5. Sift the ground flour to make it finer.
6. Store the sifted fine flour in an airtight container. It can be stored and used safely for 4-6 months.
Before Serving the Homemade Cerelac to your baby keep these in mind:
1. Take a cup of milk and let it boil.
2. Add two tablespoons of the homemade cerelac to the boiled milk and stir to remove the lumps. This way the mixture would form a paste, add some more milk if needed.
3. Once done, put off the flame.
4. Serve warm.
1. You can add mashed fruits like bananas, apples or chikoo (sapota) to enhance the taste and nutritional content of the dish.
2. You can add jaggery to sweeten the cerelac. Avoid using sugar as much as possible.
1) Nuts should not be given to babies below 1 year.
2) Daal can be given to babies to older than 8 months but it should be really soft for baby to digest.
Write to us in the comments section below about your queries regarding the recipe. And if you like the recipe, do share it with other fellow moms searching for nutritious recipes for their little bundle of joy.
Happy Parenting! 🙂