At two years of age, the time comes for the emotional development of the child. Parents have to be cautious as this time is very crucial.
At 24 months of age, it is quite difficult for the parents to guess their child’s emotional state. There are swift changes in baby’s emotions.
This evolution involves learning how to interact with the people around, to understand and control one’s emotions. Babies tend to commence relationships with the people who are around them since birth.
There is no need to rush while judging the emotional state of your little one. Take the required time to read all the faces the baby makes and then act upon it. Any mistake in your action could make the baby sad, you never know. This time will teach the baby how to control the emotions and feelings. Though this is going to take some time, but gradually by the age of three years, it will understand many things and will have some control over its feelings.
The baby will be now interested in playing with its peer group. Now, the time comes to tell your little one about sharing its things. Obviously, initially the baby will not share its toys with other children, and thus will not be able to share theirs, in a combined activity. At this point of time, explain about sharing to your toddler.
Children of this age enjoy watching each other play and even try to imitate one another. They are very clear what they want and they are able to understand that at times other’s needs are much more important than theirs.
You can help by letting the baby know that not being happy sometimes is okay, it’s simply a part of life. Do not solve each and every problem of your baby. Let the baby do what he thinks to be right. Let it solve the things on its own. This way, your little one will learn many things. It will provide the opportunity to the baby to overcome many obstacles in the life itself.
Parents face many challenges while growing up children
- The challenge for parents is to help the baby with all their moods and situations. They have to handle the baby in the very worst situation.
- Another one is to understand what their 24-month year old wants. The little one does not know how to express and many times it becomes difficult to understand their language.
- The next challenge is based on the previous one only. As after understanding the need, now they have to provide what the kid is demanding for. If the baby does not get what it wants, it becomes sad and starts sobbing.
What parents need to do?
- Two year olds are the self-centered children. They do not think for some other’s feelings. They just want to have what they desire otherwise they think that their world has come to an end. But, as soon as the baby will learn how to control its own emotions, it will be able to understand others as well. Help them deal with the emotions by talking to them.
- 24 months old are very curious for everything. They want to try everything and that too on their own. For example, if the child cannot use the glass itself to drink water, the baby will be disappointed. It doesn’t mean that you should give the glass filled water to the baby but try to calm it down by letting it hold the empty one.
- Just help them to achieve their independence as to manage its emotions, specifically the negative ones. Feeling of a 2 year old changes very swiftly. Never underestimate them. Be calm and handle everything smoothly and positively, as the age is very sensitive.
- Parents should try to label their feelings for them. Let the baby know that you can feel the same that. Like, ‘Oh! Mommy said no to television today. Tell them that it makes you feel sad too. This way the baby will feel being supported. It will share its feelings with you.
- Be with the baby, as this time requires so much of parenting care. Parents can also go for teaching good behaviour to the children. At least, just start teaching the good habits at this age. This is surely going to add up in the future.
- Give your precious time, try talking to them and listen to their stories. Playing is the most important part while spending time with your baby. It makes the bonding even stronger.
- Rules play an important role in developing good traits in a child. There should be some set of rules made in the house to be followed strictly by everyone. There is no harm in being a strict parent. This will ultimately add up to your child’s personality. Being very strict is not at all okay but a little strictness should be there.
Like a two-year old has two rules, three-year old has three to be followed. Write down all the rules and give it to the child. This way the child will remain in control of the parents.
- Discipline should be taught to children.
Some common mistakes made by the parents
Usually parents think that they can just talk to the kids about everything. The fact is kids don’t listen to parents with much attention and just do the same thing what they did for the last time.
Another blunder parents make is, they create idle threats to children which hardly affects them.
Accept when the baby says, “I hate you”. There is no harm to accept the words. Baby doesn’t know how to express its emotions. After growing up, it will understand everything.