Weight issues are one of the most common issues among babies, for which the parents remain worried.
Parents keep on comparing their children with the other children of the same age group in terms of height, weight and intelligence quotient. One must understand that each and every child/individual is unique in its own way and thus comparison should never be done.
Some children increase their weight rapidly, while on the other hand, some children gain weight slowly and gradually. And, this doesn’t mean that they are unhealthy or are less fit than their peers. The problem arises when the baby is underweight and is afflicted with some health issues.
Instead of worrying too much, check once with the baby’s paediatrician for any health problems and accordingly serve the baby.
Some of the points that parents should keep in mind while aiming for an increase in their baby’s weight.
- Parents should provide some healthy and weight gain food to the baby within the regular time intervals. A small meal during short time gaps between a day can bring positive and the necessary changes required for the child’s growth.
- The most important is to nurse the baby well and sufficiently. Breast milk or the formula milk is the best food for babies, packed with a lot of nutrition that aids in weight gain as well. Go for nursing the baby for the sufficient times in a day so as to keep baby healthy and full.
- Parents have to take care of the environment in which baby prospers. The surroundings should be clean and free from all the diseases and germs from which the baby could get affected because when children gets sick, they tend to lose weight.
- Many times the reason behind not gaining weight is that the baby is having a proper diet because it just doesn’t want to eat. Do give the baby a proper and a nutritional diet that aids in gaining weight.
- Reason behind not eating the food could be, that the baby does not like the taste of the meal. Try experimenting with some new and delicious food items. Prefer the calorie rich food, which could help in gaining weight much rapidly.
Several foods that can be given for gaining weight in children are banana, nuts, butter, oats, yogurt, eggs, whole cream milk, etc.
Watch this video for Weight Gain Foods.
- Test for any allergies. Sometimes, an allergy can be a cause behind not gaining weight in a child. An allergy could be from any food like, raw eggs, dairy food items, gluten, etc. These are the commonly found food items that can cause allergy in children.
- In the last, try to eat with your child. This will motivate the baby to eat more and make the eating time more pleasant and fun for both of you. The baby will end up eating more food and this easiest step will definitely add a positive change in your little one’s weight.
The ideal weight of a baby girl at eight months is 6-10 kg while that of boys is 7-10 kg. But as long as the baby is alert, active and is interested in the environment, these kilograms are just the mere numbers. Also, this is a sign of a positive developmental change if the baby is alert and active.
At the end
Don’t ever stress out about the weight issues in babies. A very common weight issue that mothers worry about is that their baby is not gaining weight at 8 months. The weight of a child changes frequently at different ages according to the changes in height and other bodily development changes. Only, look out for any health problems that might affect the weight and other functions of the body.
Make sure this weight issue stress doesn’t come between your time spending with the child. Never give any artificial medicines or injections to serve the purpose as this might harm the baby. Just provide your little one the nutritional and hygienic food and let it grow and develop on its own.
Lekhanta Nath says
Genuine medical explanation.God bless!