Massaging your baby is one of the best ways to calm her senses. Trust us when we say so. It allows you to build a deep emotional bond with your baby. It can be a great way to pamper her and help her have a sound sleep. Massaging your baby is good for her emotional health too. It can reduce the crying and fussiness of your baby and fight off health issues like constipation, colic, etc. It is also said to boost the intellectual capabilities of your baby.
With so many advantages of massaging the baby, you surely don’t want your baby missing out on them. While wanting to deliver best of every bit to the baby, moms struggle with the questions like –
- When is the right time to massage my baby?
- What all is needed to massage my baby?
- Which is the best oil for baby massage?
This article is here to help you with these questions and most importantly to help you choose the best baby massage oil. So without any further ado let us have a sneak peak in these questions’ answers!
When is the best time to massage my baby
The best time to massage your baby is when she is calm and alert. Massage your baby after a soothing bath and before a feed session, this will unwind your baby and calm her down. Chances are that she will eat her meal without any fuss. Look for a time when she is interested in her environment and outside disturbances do not bother her.
What all do I need before I massage my baby
The massage time is a special bonding time between you and your baby. All that is required is a few supplies and you are good to go.
Some of the things that you need before massaging the baby are –
- A good baby massage oil or cream.
- A soft towel or bed sheet.
- A fresh set of clothes for your baby.
There are a ton of options available in the market which leaves young mothers confused as to which oil is the best suited for their little one. Let us break it down for you:
Best Baby Massage Oil For Strong Bones
- Coconut oil
The concept of coconut oil as a massage oil, however new, is accepted and proven. It is one of the best choices in hot and humid climates.
– Easily absorbable and gentle on baby’s skin
– Contains anti-microbial properties
– Suitable for sensitive skin
Baby massage oil in summer
- Parachute Coconut Oil
Parachute Coconut Oil is one of the oldest and most common oils in India. It is said to be 100% pure coconut oil. It comes in many sizes from 38mL to 500mL and you could easily buy one according to your convenience.
~ Price of Parachute Coconut Oil is around Rs 83 for 250mL
- Patanjali Coconut Oil
Let us see what our community of expert doctors and experienced parents has to say about which oil to use for massaging baby in summers.
- Olive Oil
Since old ages olive oil has been used for different number of reasons. It is suitable as a massage oil for babies in the winter season. Though slightly pricey, it is extremely nourishing for your little one. Being medical in nature it comes with several benefits.
– Provides relief from pain and inflammation
– Very hydrating as it penetrates deep into the skin
– Aids better sleep for your baby
Olive oil for baby massage
- Figaro Olive Oil
It is one of the most popular olive oils in India. It can be used for cooking as well as for massaging your baby. It boasts of pure olive oil and is free from argemone oil.
Price for Figaro Olive Oil for baby massage is Rs. 225 for 200mL
Read here what our community has to say about the Figaro olive oil for baby massage and it’s benefits
- Khadi Olive Oil
Rich in proteins, minerals and essential fatty acids, it works wonders for dry and irritated skin.It contains olives, vitamins and a mix of rare herbs. It can only be bought online.
~ Price for Khadi Olive Oil is Rs. 251 for 210mL.
- Soulflower Olive Oil
As the oil is cold pressed, it retains its aroma, nutritional properties and flavour. It acts as a great moisturiser for your baby’s skin hence keeps dryness at bay. You can mix in some drops of essential oil for that extra goodness.It claims 100% pure natural oil with a mix of vitamins E, K and D3 and is easily available online.
~Price for Soulflower olive oil is Rs 250 for 200mL
- Himalaya Baby Massage Oil
It contains olive oil, enriched with Vitamin E which nourishes, protects and softens your baby’s skin and Winter cherry which improves skin tone and soothes her skin.
– Massaging your baby using this helps in improving her growth and development.
– It provides your baby with all the love while giving her extra nourishment and moisturization.
It is available in the 100mL and 200mL variant.
Price of Himalaya Baby Massage Oils is Rs. 95 for 100mL
Baby Massage Oil In Winter
- Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is generally used for massaging your baby in the winter season. Traditionally preferred in India, it is packed in lots of benefits for your baby such as
– Helps to retain body warmth
– Helps in battling skin infections
– Provides relief from cough and cold
– Helps to open up sweat pores
Note – Mustard oil is warmed up before massage. Addition of fenugreek seeds and garlic pods in the mustard oil is a very popular practice during the cold weather season.
- Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is a light, nutritious oil derived from sesame seeds. It contains tons of therapeutic and medicinal properties, some of which are:
– Anti-inflammatory due to presence of fatty acids
– Anti-bacterial, hence protects your baby from bacterial infections
– Excellent moisturiser
– Creates a warming sensation when applied onto your baby’s skin
Note – It is suitable for use in winter skin. Although coconut and olive oils are most common for massaging your baby, sesame oil can also be used.
- Almond Oil
Almond oil is widely used for massaging babies due to its many benefits. It is rich in Vitamins A,D and E and fatty acids.
– Moisturises dry skin
– Good for eczema and other skin infections
– Strengthens muscles and bones
– Improves blood circulation
– Boosts immunity
Note – Use almond oil for massaging your baby in the winter season. Sweet almond oil is often recommended by doctors for massaging your baby.
- Castor Oil
Castor oil is a natural edible oil.It is a wonderful home remedy and a fantastic oil to massage your baby with.
– Great for bone development- Moisturises baby’s skin
– Heals scratches or rashes
– Relieves sore muscles
– Treats sunburns
Note – Use castor oil for massaging your baby before bath time as it is a little greasy. Castor oil being, gentle and natural is great for babies with sensitive skin.
Watch this video to know about the best natural oils and the ways to massage a baby with them.
Things to keep in mind while massaging the baby
- Pick the right kind of oil.
- Massage your baby in a room that is warm enough.
- Make use of firm yet gentle strokes for massaging your baby.
- Try to talk or sing to your baby during the massaging sessions to calm her down.
- Never perform massage on a soft surface like a bed, etc.
- Don’t pick a time when your baby is not relaxed enough.
- Look at your babies for signs that may show displeasure or discomfort and improvise accordingly.
Giving your baby a massage stimulates the Central Nervous System which results in the production of serotonin, a feel-good hormone and reduce the secretion of Cortisol, a stress hormone. This slows down your baby’s heart rate and she becomes more relaxed, which is exactly what you want.
Massaging is one of the precious moments you get with your baby. It is the time to strengthen that relationship that you two share. Nobody knows how to massage a baby perfectly right from the start. It is something that is learnt on this rollercoaster ride called Parenting! At the end, you know what’s best for your baby.
With that said, all the very best for your first massage. Do let us know about your massage stories, queries, doubts and experiences in the comments section below. We would be more than happy to be of any kind of help!
Happy Parenting! 🙂