Having a baby is a blessing and a responsibility. You always want the best for your baby. And one of the most important aspects of making your child look cute and dapper is by dressing them. Today, we’ll help you decode Child Clothing and help you buy baby clothes, thus making you the perfect baby stylist in a span of ten minutes, max.
Expecting parents make the most enthusiastic yet confused shoppers. After all, there is so many clothes that need to be bought and that too of absolute best quality because every baby deserves best! And so your mind gets flooded with many doubts:
– When is the right time to start buying clothes for the new member?
– How many baby clothes do I buy?
– What size of baby clothes, would fit my little one?
– How to choose the baby’s clothes?
Don’t worry, though. We’ve got you covered.
So let’s begin.
Buying Baby Clothes In Advance
Buying clothes for your to be born baby is a task because your baby would outgrow his/her clothes pretty soon. Moreover, there is no guarantee which size would fit your baby as the growth of every baby in the first months is unique to them. Thus it is advised that you don’t spend a large chunk of your budget here. Resist the urge to buy a lot of clothes for your kid.
Thus, make sure you get the basic wardrobe ready:
Types of baby clothes and the quantity
1. 2-4 Infant Gowns: These gowns are easy to wear and provide easy diaper access. It is generally soft cotton clothing. These are the best clothes to keep your kid clean and irritation-free.
2. 4-6 Bodysuits (Onesies): Try to buy clothing that avoids being put over the head. Search for onesies in kimono-style, side-snap Ts or bodysuits that have wide head openings and loose legs.
3. 4-6 One piece pajamas: These make great daytime clothing. Just make sure that the fabric is light and breathy. Any one-piece item is easiest to get your baby into.
4. 2 blanket sleepers: These make better and safer option than a usual blanket but avoid going fancy with it. Anything with drawstrings is a strangulation hazard.
5. 4-7 pair of socks: Since there is time before your baby starts walking, it is advisable to dress up your baby in soft socks that’ll keep their feet clean.
Apart from these, you can buy sweaters/jackets depending upon the weather requirements.
Note – The key while shopping for your baby is to find soft and breathable fabric like cotton. Make sure that the seams are finished and there are no tags that may irritate your baby’s skin.
Available Options for Baby Clothes
Like any grown up, babies and children too need some essential clothing in their wardrobe. With the abundance of choices at hand, it is confusing as to what to have and what to chuck.
Before enlisting the options, it is important to underline the fact that babies can be messy and so you’d be required to change their clothes quite a few times in a given day.
Thus, make sure that the outfits that you get are easy to open so that it is easy to change the diapers.
Moreover, avoid overly complicated outfits that can be a choking hazard. And make sure that there are no tags that might irritate the baby’s skin.
Here is a list of all the options that you can go for when buying your baby’s clothes
1. One-piece outfits: These are the most convenient clothing for your baby in which he can easily play and sleep. The fabric, in general, is light thus making these an obvious choice of clothing for your baby.
2. Shirts: Try to buy shirts which have plenty of room around the neck so that it can be easily slipped over the head. Avoid zippers as they can cause irritations.
3. Leggings or pull-on pants: With stretchy and adjustable waistbands, leggings make a suitable choice for babies. Moreover, if it gets dirty, the whole outfit isn’t ruined.
4. Pajamas: These makes the most comfortable garment to sleep in at night.
5. Socks and booties: Before your baby starts walking, it is better to buy lots of socks some booties to keep your baby’s feet warm and clean.
6. Blanket Sleepers: Blanket sleepers of footsie pajamas are loose fitting, one piece, blankets like garment which is perfect for baby’s playtime and sleep. It is warm and cozy and with its bifurcated legs, it lets your baby walk freely.
7. Hats: Hats or caps not only keep your baby warm in cold weather but also make a cute and adorable outfit accessory.
Baby Size Chart
Choosing the right sized baby clothes
- The size is highly dependent on height. If your child is on the shorter side, he can still fit into the toddler criteria.
- The European sizes are based on height and talk in terms of centimeters.
- The boutique made outfits tend to run small, hence make sure you compare the measurements before placing an order.
- Keep in mind that your child is growing, thus stalking up a lot of clothes of a constant size doesn’t make much sense.
- Clothing sizes differ from brand to brand.
Important Things to Keep in Mind Before Buying Baby Clothes
1. Look for softer fabrics: The baby’s skin is sensitive and thus it is advisable to buy baby clothes made from cotton or cotton blend. Also, make sure you remove all the tags that might cause irritation.
2. Buy easy garment that can be easily pulled off: Avoid garments with buttons and zippers. Babies are known to be wriggly and thus, the simpler the garment, lesser is the chance for your child to be injured in any way.
3. Make sure the garment is Diaper Friendly: Your baby will need a diaper change at a frequent interval of time. Hence, it is advisable to buy garments which can be easily taken off and cleaned.
4. Buy gender neutral clothes: In this age and time, pink for girls and blue for guys holds no significance. Give your child a chance to explore that for himself.
5. Any extension on clothing can be a choking hazard for babies. These include bows, buttons, flowers etc.
6. Also, drawstrings are strangulation hazard that can get stuck in playground equipment or furniture.
Your baby is your star and you would make sure that he looks like one. Here are some tips to help you out!
- Don’t get carried away by the over-elaborate outfits. Your baby can look amazing in simple and crisp clothing as well.
- Dress your baby according to the occasion and events. There are days when your baby needs to stand out. However, make sure that the outfit doesn’t have any choking hazards.
Follow these basic tips to dress up your newborn
1. Decide the location, be it changing table, floor or bed. If the surface is high, keep a hand on your baby to keep them safe. Once they start growing up, it is easier to dress your baby.
2. Make sure you support your baby’s neck and head whenever dressing up your baby since your baby won’t be able to.
3. You should guide the head first through the neck hole. This should be followed by hands and arms.
4. Follow the thumb rule of dressing your baby in one layer more than you’re wearing. If he starts sweating, remove a layer.
5. Keep your baby occupied when you change his clothes. Use a toy to capture his attention. Ones that keep both his hands busy are best.
Dressing baby up for the occasion
- For summer dressing
Rely on baby clothes that are breathable. Choose cotton or cotton blend clothes. These are soft fabrics that don’t cause irritation to your baby’s soft skin. It will be hot and the weather would make your baby irritable, cool your baby down with some cool, breezy, light colored clothes. Buy some comfortable Summer Wear Clothing for your baby.
- For winters
Choose jackets and sweaters that don’t irritate the skin of your baby. You can opt for mittens and caps as well. Those keeps your baby warm and looks super cute. Please ensure that whatever you buy is actually warm. You don’t want your baby come under the weather and catch a cold. Buy some Winter Wear Clothing to safeguard your baby against cold.
- For any party
Opt for a combination of cute tops with leggings or for a baby girl, a frock can never go wrong! Jazz them up with cute accessories like headbands or caps. Fancy socks also make a great accessory. Click here to get some Party outfits for your baby.
- For a good night’s sleep
Nothing is better than a comfortable pajama or onesie. Not only are they convenient to put on, they are really cozy to be in.
We hope that all your questions are answered. If you still have a doubt, drop it down in the comment section. 🙂